Thursday, June 21, 2007

June 20: "I'm not a plastic bag" bag launch



As anticipated, Anya Hindmarch's "I'm not a plastic bag" bag launch generated as much buzz in the U.S. as it did in the U.K. back in April. In Manhattan, eager shoppers waited in long lines as early as 5 a.m. -- all in hope of getting the IT bag of the season.

I was there, right in the middle of all this action, at Anya Hindmarch's upper east side store on 60th street.

Is it worth the wait?

"Well, it's a nice sturdy designer bag that cost $15, plus it gives a positive message, " said Chamine, a fellow shopper whom I bonded with while waiting 4 hours in line for a bag.

Throughout the morning, curious onlookers gawked and asked about the long lines, which stretched all the way to Park Avenue. After realizing we were all waiting for a bag, some chided, "GO GET A JOB!" A construction worker who were working nearby even offered his own canvas work bag for $5. "Look! It even has an American flag on it!!" Nobody budged, of course.

The bag features sturdy canvas and rope handles. It can hold a lot -- I'm talking about holding an extra bag plus my handbag plus all the crap in my handbag and also 2 bottles of water.

Now if only I have the strength to lug all these things around all the time.
Photo Credits: The New York Sun

No comments: